Thursday, October 10, 2013

Learning to drive...

As part of his training, I'm teaching Nox how to drive from the ground.  Eventually, it will help me when I'm lunging him on a lunge line.  If I try to lunge him on a line now, he cuts into the circle and I have a hard time keeping him under control.  With two lines on either side of his halter or bridle, I will be able to use the outside line to keep him on the circle.  It's kind of hard to explain, so here are some pictures:

I'm driving Nox with two lines attached to either side of his halter
and walking behind him as I steer him around cones.

Lunging with two lines: Nox travels in a circle around me while I stand in the
center holding both lines.  The outside line wraps around his body and behind
 his hind legs.  At first, he didn't like the feeling of the line on his back legs,
but he got used to it. 
I was amazed by how well Nox tolerated this new experience.  He only threw one 5 minute tantrum where he raced around the ring dragging both lines behind him (after he bucked and got the lines tangled between his legs and I had to let go of them).  Once he got that out of his system, he was fine!

No comments:

Post a Comment