Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Saddle up!

It fits!  The extra wide saddle sits beautifully on Nox's back with plenty of room for his shoulders to move freely.  I'm so relieved (so is Best Husband Ever - the custom saddle route is crazy $$$$) and Nox seems to feel more comfortable.  I also purchased a different saddle pad called a half pad with a wither cut out - this pad will give him a little more cushion around the wither area without adding bulk on the shoulder area.

Nox's hooves were trimmed last week and he was a little tender-footed for a few days.  I asked the farrier to trim a little more off the left front hoof (the one he fractured) than he's been doing in the past.  The sports therapist thought the toe was a little too long and making it difficult for Nox to move naturally.  I agreed with her assessment and the farrier was happy to try something a little different.  The results have been promising.  The combination of sports therapy, hoof trimming, and a saddle that fits have Nox moving better than ever under saddle.  I'm very pleased!

Now, if it would stop raining long enough for the outdoor ring to dry out so we could ride in it, I'd be ecstatic!   Do I ask for too much?

Nox, tacked up and ready to go.
 

2 comments:

  1. Well, he certainly looks happier! Glad it fits and happy (and safe) riding.

    ReplyDelete