Thursday, March 6, 2014

Peace and Hope

Today I went to the barn full of hope.  Nox was calm and greeted me with a nicker when he saw me.  I slipped his blanket off while he stood quietly in his stall.  Before turning him out in the ring, I went in to put the ground poles out in the cross pattern that I use when I'm free lunging Nox.  I heard him nicker happily when he heard the first pole hit the dirt with a clomp.  I smiled.  He loves to work.

I turned Nox out in the ring while I cleaned his stall.  He rolled a few times and then stood by the gate and waited for me.  I picked up the lunge whip, entered the ring, and took my place in the center.  I asked Nox to walk to the left.  He turned to the left and started walking - fast.  He wanted to trot, so I told him to trot.  He leaped forward and cantered a few strides, let out one buck, and then settled into a nice trot.  That was all.  No more drama.  We free lunged for 15 minutes... calmly... working as a team.  Afterwards, I groomed him and he was so good!  He chewed on the lead rope a few times, but never once went for my hand.  His eyes were soft and his expression sweet, just like my Nox.

I am relieved and hopeful that we are back on track.  I'm sure there will be more days when I will need to remind him that he's second in our herd of two, and I'm prepared to do so, but hopefully the daily exercise will make everything easier.

I just love him so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment