Monday, November 12, 2012

A Week of Worry

This was a rough week for Nox.  I had his front shoes pulled off last Monday so that his injured hoof would grow back out into a normal shape and relieve the pressure on his heels and tendons.  He probably hasn't been barefoot on his front feet in many years, so I expected that he would be a little tender-footed at first.

After a few days, Nox didn't want to walk at all.  I slowly led him the few yards to the indoor ring and let him off the lead.  He just stood there.  I watched him tense every muscle in his body and brace himself to take even one step.  I called the vet and she prescribed a pain killer that I could pick up first thing in the morning.  I led Nox back to his stall for a long grooming session, he walking gingerly and I sobbing.  It hurt me so much to see him like that.  I was sure I had broken my horse and all I want is for him to be happy and comfortable.  Best Husband Ever tried to comfort me - he reminded me that sometimes set-backs like this are part of the healing process.  He was sure Nox would be fine in a few days, once his hooves toughened up a bit.

The next morning, Nox was still very sore.  I gave him a dose of "bute", hidden well in a mixture of applesauce, molasses, and sweet feed.  When I returned to the barn that afternoon, Nox was willing to walk around the ring a few times.  I was hopeful.  I knew it was just the painkiller doing its job, but it gave me hope that he'd be ok.  The next morning Nox was further improved and so I did not give him another dose of meds.  I'm thrilled to write that this evening Nox was nearly his old self.  It is very windy tonight and when I let him out in the ring, he snorted and walked around in circles, even trotted and bucked a little bit.  I tried to calm him down before he got too worked up - I didn't want him to push it too much - but I was so happy to see him comfortable again.

The barn owners told me earlier in the week that often horses can take a week or more to get over the tenderness after having shoes removed, and I shouldn't worry so much.  Now I know they were right, but I couldn't help it!  Nox is such a muscular, athletic, and beautiful horse!  It broke my heart to see him unwilling to take a single step around the ring. 

Hopefully, Nox will continue to improve and I can start riding him again.  Our new program is the same as the old one - take it slow and move in straight lines as much as possible.  Wish us luck and speedy healing!      

No comments:

Post a Comment