Sunday, November 4, 2012

Nox and Hayley

My younger sister Hayley came out from the West Coast for a short but sweet visit this weekend.  The only firm plans she and I made were to watch all three of Anne of Green Gables movies and go to the barn.  Hayley hadn't met Nox yet, and she was a huge supporter of my dream of horse ownership and the reason I had all the horse equipment I needed when I adopted Nox.

Hayley, like our dad, is very allergic to horses and almost everything else found in barn.  Dust, hay, horse hair - it all makes her break out into rashes, sneezes, watery eyes, and general misery.  Growing up, I had to change out of my barn clothes in the garage and put them in the wash to keep Hayley and my dad from exploding into allergic reactions.  On this visit, Hayley insisted that she would brave it all to meet my horse.  

Hayley understands my obsession with horses because she feels the same way about babies.  We've long settled that she will be a fantastic mother and I will be a cool auntie with horses.  Hayley was my enthusiastic cheerleader as I was trying to make my dream come true this year.  She organized a "bridle" shower for me when I officially adopted Nox.  My family and friends sent me everything I could possibly need as a new horse owner - brushes, saddle pads, tools, tack, treats, and toys.  It was like Christmas had come in June!  I appreciate all the love and support that my family and friends have given me - thank you all so much - and thanks again to Hayley for organizing it all.

Hayley finally met Nox on Friday.  She helped me brush him, fed him some carrots, and watched him run around the ring.  Nox was in a rambunctious mood, but he paused for a few photos and pats.  It was only five minutes before Hayley started sneezing.  We didn't stay long, but she gushed about how big, beautiful, and friendly Nox is, and how proud she was that I was able to make this dream come true.  Then we went home, decontaminated, doped her up on Benadryl, and watched Anne of Green Gables.

Thanks for coming to visit Hayley!




   

No comments:

Post a Comment