Saturday, May 25, 2013

Nox's Biggest Little Fans

Nox is surprisingly good around little kids.  I can't imagine he's had much exposure to kids during his racing days.  I have a four year old niece who calls him "Nox Unicorn" and brings him apples, and a few friends who have young kids that like to visit and bring treats.  Any animal can be unpredictable around children, so I always keep a close eye on both child and horse, as I don't fully trust either to behave appropriately.  I'll hold the kids up to brush his mane and body, and Nox responds by standing still, sniffing their hair, and moving very slowly and carefully.  It's very sweet!  He has also learned that when kids are around, his bucket fills up with all sorts of yummy treats. 

Today my friend Lindsay stopped by the barn with her two little boys and her mother to visit Nox.  They brought him a box of peppermint candies that he eagerly snarfed out of his bucket between pats and brushes from the boys.  I'm glad that I get to be the "horse auntie" to these kids and pass along my love of horses and barn life.

Lauren helps me pick up poles in the arena.

Chase, Lindsay, and Jack visit Nox.
I love the look that Nox and Jack are sharing.
 
Nox loves being brushed.  Good job, Chase!

Jack found the perfect spot to curry comb.

No comments:

Post a Comment