Monday, May 27, 2013

One Year Anniversary

On May 27, 2012, I met the horse-love-of-my-life.  My friend Lindsay volunteered to spend one of her precious days off driving 13 hours round trip to south New Jersey with me to meet Evenings End.  I'd been waiting a month to meet him and the director at the South Jersey Thoroughbred Rescue was holding him for me.  Normally, horse rescues don't hold horses - if you are interested, you better visit quick, before someone else scoops the horse up.  Erin must have known that Evenings End and I were meant to be together, because after reading my application story and answering all of my questions about the beautiful injured ex-racer, she gave me "dibs", if I could get down to New Jersey in a reasonable amount of time.

Memorial Day Sunday, Lindsay and I set off to New Jersey.  She endured my nervous chatter and reassured me that this "blind date" with Evenings End would go well.  She reminded me that just because we were driving so far to meet him, I didn't have to commit if we didn't hit it off. 

As soon as I saw Evenings End, he was mine and I was his.  He was standing in the center aisle of the stable and he turned his head to look at me when I walked in.  It was like I already knew him.  I spent a few hours with him at the barn before giddily telling Erin that I would like to adopt him.  Paperwork was signed, the adoption fee was paid, and on this day one year ago, I adopted Nox.

We've come a long way in a year.  Nox is sweet, mischievous, smart, and a complete joy.  When I walk into the barn every day I do the "Carter whistle" and he responds with his low, rumbling nicker.  That happy greeting is my favorite sound.



I want to say a very big "Thank You" to my family and friends for their support.  I still have all of the wonderful gifts that you gave me - brushes, tack, saddle pads, breaches, boots, toys, and so much more.  I use them every day and they remind me how lucky I am to have so many wonderful people in my life.

Moose, thanks for agreeing to eat dinner an hour later on week nights.  You are such a good dog.

Best Husband Ever - your pseudonym is not a joke.  When you married me, you knew that someday you would have to share me with a horse.  That day came and you have never complained about my long hours at the barn, my dusty boots by the door, the horse hair in the car, or the money trotting out of the bank.  You are supportive and involved.  Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Here's to many more years with my handsome Nox!

The first day we met - adoption day!

Lindsay almost took this friendly horse, Starship, home with her.

The first time Best Husband Ever and Nox met.

The face I fell in love with, about 4 months after I adopted him.

Just a cool picture from the summer.

Nox, enjoying spring 2013.





1 comment: