Thursday, October 25, 2012

A warm day

Today was a warm, sunny, 70 degree day - a welcome relief from the 50 degree weather we've had lately.  I was restless at work - impatiently tapping at my keyboard and glancing out the window across the hall every few minutes.  I couldn't wait to get to the barn.  I was hoping the flooded outdoor ring would be dry enough to let Nox run around and enjoy the nice weather, too.  The past few weeks have been so rainy and dreary.

I finally pulled in to the stable parking lot and happily left my barn coat in the car.  My happiness was tempered as I came around the corner and saw my poor horse.  Nox was standing in the middle of his stall, sweating and looking miserable. 

Nox has grown a magnificent winter coat.  His summer coat was so sleek and thin that I worried he'd be cold in this North Country winter weather.  It turns out that I had nothing to worry about.  He is as fluffy and fuzzy as I could have hoped, and I love burying my face in his plush, soft, velvety neck.

That thick coat was torture today.  I turned Nox out in the indoor ring, since the outdoor ring was still flooded and I wanted to keep him out of the sun.  He ran around as usual, bucking, kicking, and rearing, and then rolled in his favorite spot.  All that exertion made him sweat even more.  I went into the ring to play our ground manner games and by the time we finished, he was a hairy, sweaty, dirty mess.

I walked him around and let him graze outside in the breeze.  I wanted to spray him off with the hose, but it's going to be in the 50's tonight and I was afraid that his thick coat wouldn't dry completely and he'd be chilled.  Instead, once he was cool and the sweat had dried, I curried and brushed him until every sweat mark was gone.  He really enjoyed the curry comb and I think all that hair must get itchy when he sweats.

Tomorrow will be another 70 degree day, but after that we drop back into the low 50's again.  For Nox's sake, and the other fuzzy horses in the barn, I'm looking forward to the cooler weather.               

No comments:

Post a Comment