Saturday, October 6, 2012

But I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep... ~ Robert Frost

Today was a windy and cool fall day.  Not just windy - blustery.  Nox gets a little "high" on blustery days, as many horses do.  It's part of their prey instincts to get anxious in weather like this.  The sound of the wind makes it difficult to listen for predators.  The trees and bushes sway strangely and leaves are blowing around, making it difficult to spot the dangerous movements of a wolf or lion.

I was alone at the barn today and even the stable owners, who live on site, were gone for the evening.  I'm often the only person riding in the afternoons (many of the boarders ride in the morning) but usually the stable owners are home.

Being completely alone and seeing that Nox was excited and spooky from the wind, I decided not to ride.  Safety first.

Instead, Nox got a few hours of free time and ground work in the indoor ring.  We walk around on the lead rope and practice walk/whoa transitions.  We back up, turn around, move the front hooves, and move the back hooves - it's like equine hokey pokey. 

I always end our day with a thorough grooming session.  On days that I ride him, Nox receives the full grooming routine twice.  He loves to be curried and brushed and I enjoy spending that time with him.  I still marvel that this gorgeous horse is actually mine and I need to physically touch him to prove that he is real. 

It's strange to have childhood dream come true when you're an adult.  I'm old enough to understand how fragile life is and how precariously we balance between good times and bad.  I'm young enough to clearly remember all the things my twelve year old self fervently promised to do if I had my own horse.  And so, I carefully comb out Nox's thick tail and sweep every last speck of dust from his shiny coat.  I clean my tack, figure-eight my bridle, and pick out the manure from his stall. 

And I love him.    

Me, 12 years old, showing on a borrowed horse named Phantom.
        

No comments:

Post a Comment