Monday, October 8, 2012

How I know Nox doesn't like to be tied...

The first few weeks I had Nox, I was conducting all sorts of experiments to see what he knew how to do and what he was uncomfortable with.  One day, I wanted to know how well Nox tolerated being tied to something.  I led him into the indoor ring that has metal fencing along one end.  I figured I could tie his lead rope to the fence inside the ring and if we had a problem, he would still be safely contained. 

I loosely tied Nox to the top rail of the metal fence using a quick-release knot.  I stood at his head for a few minutes and he was fine.  I moved a few steps back, walked around to his other side, and patted his back.  He seemed bored.  Great, I thought, no problem.  I bent to pick up a brush to groom him and he suddenly jumped back and strained against the lead rope with all of his weight, his eyes bulging and begging for my help.

I rushed forward and released the knot.

This is what the previously straight fence looked like:
What happens when a 1200 + lb horse pulls on a metal fence.
We offered to pay for a new section of fence, but the kind stable owners were only glad that no one was hurt.   They suggested that Nox may need some retraining on being tied.

We're working on it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment