Wednesday, October 10, 2012

The Circle Game

People often have a favorite horse color - some like bright chestnuts, palominos, paints or dapple grays.  I like dark horses.  When I was 12 years old and taking riding lessons at Ride America, I met my "ideal" horse.  He was a dark bay Thoroughbred gelding with a white star on his forehead.  He was big and muscular with long, long legs - aptly named Spider.  He was gorgeous.

Spider's owner was kind enough to tolerate my gawking and wistful sighs every time she brought him out to ride.  I distinctly remember admiring how his beautiful, dark brown coat gleamed under the fluffy white saddle pad.  I thought to myself: some day I'm going to have a horse just like that.

This past summer, my boarding stable sponsored a week long horse camp.  The barn was full of little horse-loving girls learning all about horsemanship.  I'd turn Nox out in the ring and a few of those girls would materialize next to me, leaning against the wood rails to watch Nox run around. 

I recognized their dreamy stares and sighs.

Funny how things come full circle.

"And the seasons they go round and round,
 And the painted ponies go up and down..." 

(thanks, Mom, for playing the guitar and singing Joni Mitchell)

     

My dream come true.

No comments:

Post a Comment