Thursday, October 11, 2012

Good advice

The days are cooler and shorter.  I have to turn the lights on when I arrive at the barn, when only a few weeks ago I could graze Nox in the sunshine until 8:00 pm.  The indoor riding ring also has lights - eight florescent drop-down lights that provide wonderful year-round riding opportunities, but cast odd shadows all over the ring.  Nox does not like these shadows.  As we ride around the ring his own shadow seems to ping around the walls and swoop under his feet, making him nervous.

Occasionally, Nox will suddenly jump several feet to the right or left as he spooks at his shadow.  So far, I've managed to remain firmly on his back, but each time he jumps, I silently thank my first trainer, Erin.

Erin was from Ireland and I idolized her.  She was small in stature but had a huge personality and a very generous spirit.  She was an excellent trainer who held her students to the highest standards of classical horsemanship.  We were expected to be early for lessons to groom and tack up, and stay late to brush every last sweat mark from our horse's body.  She told me, "If you don't have to time to care for your horse properly, you don't have time to ride."   

After about six months of lessons I was jumping low cross rails and feeling pretty proud of myself.  Erin smiled at me and said I was finally ready.  "Ooooh, for what?", I asked excitedly, envisioning Grand Prix show rings with 5 foot jumps.  "Ready to learn how to really sit on a horse", she said as she took the stirrups off the saddle.  I spent the next few weeks relearning everything - walk, trot, canter, circles, serpentines, and jumping - without stirrups.  My balance and seat improved dramatically.  She taught me how to move with a horse.

As Erin took the stirrups off that first day, I asked her how I was supposed to stay in the saddle.

She replied, in her Irish brogue, "Keep one leg on each side of your horse and your arse in the middle."

Often, it's the simplest advice that sticks with you. 

Nox - calm and looking gorgeous.
      

No comments:

Post a Comment