Friday, October 5, 2012

If I ever get a gray horse, he'll be called "Lumos"...

"Evenings End" is actually a very nice name, as far as race horse names go.  Watch any horse race and you'll hear some very odd names.  I like "Evenings End" but it's too cumbersome to call out in a pasture.  He needs a barn name - a nick name - for every day use.  I'll still use "Evenings End" if/when we start showing, but I want to call him something cool and representative of his quirky personality. 

I decided on "Nox" almost immediately.  It fits his personality and it just sounds right.  

I tell most people that I picked "Nox" because it is the Roman word for "night".  The end of the evening is night time, so that makes sense.  It's a nice, coincidental, almost literal translation.

Some people associate it with nitrous oxide and fast cars.

The people who know me best know the real reason:

"Nox" is the magical spell from Harry Potter to extinguish all of the lights.

So much for being cool.



Nox, aka Evenings End

 


  

No comments:

Post a Comment