Sunday, October 28, 2012

Klutz

Nox seems to be always banging his head into something.  As soon as one scrape above his eye heals, he gets another.  They're never deep or bloody - just small surface scrapes that take all the hair off.  Sometimes he scrapes his head on his feed bucket, after reaching his nose underneath it to pick up every last little bit of grain.  Sometimes he bangs his head on the fence rails, again, reaching through to graze or nibble.  Sometimes I have no idea how he does it.  Nox's stall is safe and large, with nothing protruding out to cut him.  I think he might just be klutzy, and frankly, I have no idea how, in his racing days, he managed to burst from the starting gates without tripping or banging his head. 

I have a big tube of ointment and every night Nox quietly lowers his head so I can care for the scrapes.  He really is a sweet, lovable horse and he usually tries very hard to be good.  I'm so glad that he's mine - goofy and clumsy as he is.

Nox's newest scrape, above the eye.
       

No comments:

Post a Comment